Reid H. Ervin & Associates, P.C., is an employment law firm dedicated to representing and advising employees on all levels of the career ladder in a diverse range of industries facing all types of situations in the workplace. Because every case is unique, our law firm combines meticulous, results-oriented representation with close, personal attention. This combination has allowed us to successfully represent many clients over our firm's history.
Virginia Beach Employee Rights Lawyers
Employment law encompasses a broad range of categories. At its core, employment law prohibits an employer from intruding on the "rights" of employees. Employee rights are derived from federal law, state law, public policy and employment agreements. These rights protect employees from wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation and other adverse actions.
Our Norfolk labor and employment law firm represents and advises executive, professional, and public official employees through complex investigations and other workplace issues. We help employees avoid noncompete agreements and obtain compensation based on an employment or compensation agreement. We pursue civil rights cases for employees through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), where we have historically obtained successful decisions and settlements for our clients. We also represent public sector employees facing reprisal, unjust termination or a complex investigation.
Our attorneys represent employees across Eastern Virginia in every type of employment matter, including:
- Wrongful termination: If you have been terminated illegally or for some reason against public policy, we are prepared to advocate for you.
- Retaliation: Retaliating against an employee for reporting illegal activities or engaging in a protected act is against the law. Our lawyers will take effective action on your behalf.
- Representing government employees: Government employees generally have the right to a hearing before they can be terminated. We have a history of success representing federal, state and city employees in all manner of administrative hearings.
- Employment law for executives: Our Norfolk employment attorneys advise high-level executives as to all types of employment contracts and agreements such as severance agreements and noncompete agreements.
- Workplace discrimination: We represent individuals who have been discriminated against on the basis of race, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, military status or pregnancy.
- Sexual harassment: Our law firm fully understands the legal issues involved with bringing a sexual harassment claim under the theory of quid pro quo or hostile work environment.
- Wage and hour claims: When employees are not properly compensated for the work they do, it is an outrage. We represent both individual employees and classes of employees in all types of wage and hour claims, including unpaid overtime cases.
- Leaves of absence: If your employer has refused to allow you to take a leave of absence under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), our law firm can protect your rights.
- Benefit and retirement plans: Companies cannot interfere with an employee's right to access long-term disability, retirement plans or health care plans. Additionally, companies cannot retaliate against an employee for exercising rights under a benefit plan.
- Unemployment benefits: If your former employer is challenging your claim for unemployment benefits, we can help.
- Defamation and business torts: We serve employees who have been defamed by co-workers or employers.
In addition, we take on breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with contract and other claims. Call toll free at 888-314-8548 or complete our online contact form to discuss your situation.